Use Appstats. It may not be the query that is slow.  If you are using
reference properties, perhaps you are dereferencing them.  If you
should us the query and how you're using the results we might be abel
to give more suggestions.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/appstats.html

Robert