Hi Robert,
I've not used reference properties. Its a simple query and it'll be
like this.

q = db.Query(PrimaryData)
q.filter('SheetMetadataId', metadata.getSheetId())
q.filter('InstanceAssignedTo IN',
[u'User_c42e8919_448e_11e0_b87b_f58d20c6e2c3',
u'User_1fd87ac5_073d_11e0_8ba1_c122a5867c4a'])
return q.fetch(2000)

and I replaced the IN filter to '=' with single value. Still its
taking same time.