a newbie trying to deal with DNS settings is a mess, plus it's boring
to wait and see if it worked, so I decided to come back here and tell
more detailed steps on how to solve this before google does ;)

Google Apps tells you to insert 4 A records pointing to 4 google IPs.
How to reach it: Domain Settings, Domain names (
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/mydomain.com/DomainSettingsDomains )
Then you need to set which subdomains you want to listen in
yourdomain.com and point to your appengine app. Yes, you can now set
the * wildcard (this is what I'll use for the CNAME later).
How to reach it: Dashboard, your Google App Engine project (
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/mydomain.com/AppEngineServiceSettings?appId=myappengineid
)

Google Apps recommends you to do this on your DNS settings:
mydomain.com A -> google 4 IPs
* CNAME -> ghs.google.com

But I've changed it to (replace 'app' with your desired subdomain):
app.mydomain.com A -> google 4 IPs
* CNAME -> ghs.google.com
app A -> your regular hosting IP

then, on your regular hosting (hostgator in my case, godaddy for
others), create a .htaccess on the root with this content:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mydomain.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ "http\:\/\/app\.mydomain\.com\/$1" [R=302,L]

this way you keep google apps handling everything except the naked
mydomain redirection.
your regular hosting will be foing the naked domain redirection
preserving full path (as described in this .htaccess), redirecting it
to app.mydomain.com/full/path (and from there forward it's back on
google's hands).
it's a good way to fix this problem by yourself, until google fixes
their redirector (I've already warned about the problem on Google
Apps).