Jeff,

I may borrow this section for talks with VC's

" GAE apps are difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to port because GAE
provides services at a much higher level than IaaS companies.  If you write
to a lower-level platform, you need to invent all those services *yourself*.
This is not without CONSIDERABLE opportunity cost - it takes a lot of work
to run, maintain, and scale datastores, memcaching systems, appservers.  You
need DBAs, you need sysadmins, you need security engineers, you need build
engineers.  It all adds time and cost and risk."

Et All,

VCs often talk about "a bet on a bet".  It is my belief that Google will be
a big player in the Cloud space and that part of that will be building out
GAE to compete with Amazon.   I picked GAE specifically because GAE
leverages Google's knowledge of the things they do best, but more
importantly it leverages what Google does better than anyone else.  Rather
than betting that I can hire a team of smart people to manage my
infrastructure, engineer my database, and give me world wide points of
presence I just pay an extra 2 pennies a Gig transferred, and they do it for
me.  That's an easy decision from a cash flow perspective.

VCs are Anti-Google right now, so to those saying "does a VC really decline
you funding because you aren't on EC2?" yes.  Google lost a whole lot of
friends with their recent changes to the Openness of Android, and the
conditions of it's use.  There is a fear, founded or not, in the VC
community at the moment that Google will "become Apple" and that they will
only let certain apps play on their network, in their search results, and on
their platforms.

We see this reflected in the recent changes to the rules for Google Search,
Google Adwords, Adsense and Android.  For a VC this is scary.  You may be
right in thinking "there are a million other things scarier than Google
making changes" when calculating the risk to a start up, but for a VC you
look at how many risks there are to failure more than the risk of each of
those things happening, because you can only measure known risks, not
unknown risks.

Lastly, is perception.  How much of the chatter on this forum is about if we
should move to HR, or if MS can be made to work.  How much is about if there
is a way to know if some warning light went off at Google when there is down
time?  Do you remember the thread about me saying that if you are going to
switch from one app to another on a domain managed by Apps for Domains, that
you should have a paid account and a CSR on the line when you do it?  Try to
find how to get your Apps For Domains Pin, and how to get someone on the
phone at Google.  I failed to mention that the CSR I talked to doing that
moved didn't know what an "appengine" is and I had to have them find someone
who did.   If you have ever had a Google Docs outage, or if you were one of
the 150k people who had their email disappear 2 months ago in the Great
Gmail Failure of 2011, you can see how people would not trust Google with
their enterprise/mission critical applications.

Azure sucks in so many ways, it is more expensive, it has more downtime, and
it doesn't scale up and down as quickly as GAE.  But my projects on Azure
run just as well on a Windows Server farm, and when things go Boom I can get
a live human on the phone in 2 minutes.  If something needs a Kick I can get
it.  No digging through the forums to find out which URL I need to file a
ticket on, no wondering if someone dealt with my ticket, a real person on
the phone says, "I have taken care of that for you Brandon, is there
anything else I can do for you? No? Well we apologize that this happened and
I have issued you a credit for today's services. You have a great day and
thank you for using Microsoft Azure".

EC2 is cheaper, if you can get all the products you need set up, and talking
to each other it runs like a champ, and is very portable.  We moved from
Storm On Demand, off to RDS, and then we made a sand box on Storm On Demand
because it was cheaper and we didn't need the redundancy, and then I pushed
the button and moved that sand box to my laptop as a 2 virtual machines.
EC2 Support has a Thick Indian Accent, but they are smart and they do answer
the phone.

Ikai, Nick, Wesley, and the rest of the Googlers in this forum are great...
And I'm sure they'd be happy to give us all their personal cell phone
numbers so it would be easy to get problems resolved....  But then they'd
get nothing done.  Google's always been in the business of avoiding
technical support by building tech that just works... and that is a Great
philosophy, but it makes people in the investment world crazy, because when
bad things happen they want to know who to blame and when they will be fixed
and how it will never happen again.

-Brandon