Here's a tantalizing prospect on the "advent of private PaaS" in a blog post
by RightScale, on Cloud Foundry's potential. I am watching Cloud Foundry
very closely, if it matures well (a big 'if') then I'm definitely jumping
the GAE ship. The possibilities of choosing a PaaS provider *and* a IaaS
provider are simply too attractive. Imagine running your GAE app on Amazon's
IaaS, running on the exact-same GAE PaaS software.

Good times ahead!

http://blog.rightscale.com/2011/04/12/launch-vmwares-cloudfoundry-paas-using-rightscale/

Until now the notion of PaaS has lumped together the author of the PaaS
software and its operator. For example, Heroku developed its PaaS software
and also offers it as a service. If you want to run your application on
Heroku your only choice is to sign-up to their service and have them run
your app. Google AppEngine has the same properties. All this is very nice
and has many benefits, but it doesn’t fit all use-cases by a long shot. What
if you need to run your app in Brazil but Heroku and your PaaS service
doesn’t operate there? Or if you need to run your app within the corporate
firewall? Or if you want to add some custom hooks to the PaaS software so
you can punch out to custom services that are co-located with your app? All
these options become a reality with Cloud Foundry because the PaaS software
is developed as an open-source project. You can customize it and you can run
it where you want to and how you want.

Of course you can also go to a hosted Cloud Foundry service whenever you
don’t want to be bothered running servers. This could be a public Cloud
Foundry service that is in effect competing with Heroku, AppEngine and
others, but it could also be a private service offered by IT or your
friendly devops team mate. This opens the possibilities for departmental
PaaS services that may have a relatively small scale and can be tailored for
the specific needs of their users.