I know this is a long shot, but…

My company uses GAE for lots of things, and, as a for-profit company, we're
willing and able to pay for things of value.  I'm pretty sure the $9/mo +
whatever isn't going to cause us to switch cloud providers.

But in my personal time, I've also used GAE for some not-for-profit
applications.  One for my local library to manage their interlibrary loan
requests (which I'm sure will be able to live within the free quotas), and
another for small towns to use to meet Massachusetts Open Meeting Law
requirements (which I'm sure will NOT be able to live within the free quotas).
See: http://www.mytowngovernment.org

I'm wondering if Google might start a program to waive the $9/mo fee for
public-good type applications like this.  Ideally it would not require that I
have a proper 501c3, since getting one of those approved costs a fortune these
days.  Perhaps it could be handled casually, like the "can I please have more
than 10 apps" requests are today.

In my "about" page, I warned towns that they should budget for the open meeting
site to eventually cost something, because I figured the GAE free lunch
couldn't last forever.  But I think it would be a terrific non-evil thing for
Google to consider starting a program to give away their services for
not-for-profit applications.

-Joshua