> Instance hours are billed for the instances being up for an app.  This is
> one of the reasons that we are changing our scheduler, to ensure we aren't
> creating instances that aren't needed and that we are taking down instances
> once they are no longer needed.  Does that help clarify?

At the risk of sounding silly, what's the difference with this new
model then?

Previously a computer in the sky would take my request, spin up a CPU,
processes it, record the time taken, and charge me per CPU hour.

Now, a computer in the sky takes my request, spins up a Instances,
processes it, stops the instance, records time taken, and charges me
per Instance hour?

Can we then not just optimise our request processing to take a certain
ms as before and calculate cost based on that ms vs instance/hour
charges? Pretty much as we did with CPU time?

Why does anyone need to keep X number of instances constantly running
if they're dialled up and down on demand?  And how does reserving
instances fit in with this - why would any one reserve an instance? To
remove 'dialling up' time? In THAT case are you charged for 24/7 usage
regardless of actually underlying usage?

Thank you for any clarity.