If I understand what you are saying, I could make every URL map to a servlet, and let the servlet return the specific static pages.

Or can I just put my folder of HTML into the resources section, and not have to write another servlet?

Cheers, Eric

On 2011-05-13 6:52 PM, Erick Fleming wrote:
You are correct. Google stores and serves static files differently than Filters/Servlets/Resources. I know of two alternatives:

1. Store your files as resources
2. Store static content in Datastore

Erick

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com <mailto:eric.koloty...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I've been playing around with security in my test app, and was
    hoping someone could confirm my understanding of things.

    I have the following in my web.xml

    <security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
    <web-resource-name>Protected Site</web-resource-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
    <role-name>*</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
    <user-data-constraint>
    </user-data-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

    Which as far as I can tell forces everyone through the Google
    login no matter what URL they use. Is this correct?

    I also have

    <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>IdentityCheck</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

    Which as far as I can tell only invokes the filter if a servlet is
    being invoked. It will not invoke a filter for any static content
    such as an HTML file. Is this correct?

    I wanted to set up a second level of authentication to force
    people to register another identity with the site, and I thought I
    could do this with the filter by comparing their google ID with a
    of previously authenticated google IDs. That is, they would only
    have to go through second level authentication once, and then the
    app would automatically them through once they authenticated their
    Google ID.

    But if filters only run when invoking a servlet, then static
    content cannot be protect this way because the second level of
    authentication will never get invoked.

    Am I understanding this all correctly?

    Is there any other mechanism I can use to implement this second
    level of authentication that does cover static content too?

    Cheers, Eric
    Groups "Google App Engine" group.
    To post to this group, send email to
    google-appengine@googlegroups.com