Hi,

I'm struggling with talking to WordPress from my gae app.

I've got code that works some of the time, but sometime throws
Application Error: 5, which I believe means it is being timed out by
GAE. Application Error: 5 is thrown if the communication with
WordPress takes longer than 5 seconds.

Here's the code (which runs in the default instance, not a backend):

        from pyblog import WordPress

        try:
            logging.debug("About to post to wp")
            wp = WordPress(lserverapi, lusername, lpassword)
            lwppost = {}
            lwppost['description'] = lpostcontent
            lwppost['title'] = lpostcontent[:140]
            result = wp.new_post(lwppost)
            lpostresult =  "Posted to wp, result: %s" % ( str(result) )
            logging.info(lpostresult)
        except Exception, ex:
            logging.error(ex)
            lpostresult = '** Exception: %s **' % (str(ex))

pyblog is here: http://code.google.com/p/python-blogger/
pyblog uses xmlrpclib (it's a fairly trivial wrapper over xmlrpclib).

It's driving me to distraction, because the wp.new_post() call times
out, but also succeeds (ie: the post is created). But for what I'm
doing, I *must* get the id back from the new_post() call so I can
store it away for later (and so recognise later that I actually
created the post).

Is there a way to lengthen the timeout past 5 seconds for xmlrpclib?

Or

Will using a backend make the timeout longer / let me set a longer timeout?

Or

Is there something different/better I should be doing to talk to WordPress?

--
Emlyn

http://my.syyn.cc - Synchonise Facebook, WordPress and Google Buzz posts,
comments and all.