What's driving the requirements?  Are you building a consumer app with
a clear vision of what the user experience should be?  Top down.  Or
are you starting with an API and trying to figure out how to sanely
present that to an audience?  Bottom up.

It sounds like your ZoeOS was the later and consumer products built on
GAE would likely be the former.

Jeff