Although I was ignoring the $9/app discussion before, now I realize that* I
want N environments as I develop my app: development, production, test,
beta,* etc.
And, I would like* all those environments to be identical to my production
environment (ie: all be "paid" apps)*.
Thus, to develop properly the cost is N x $9/month.
I'm not enthusiastic about paying for paid app service level when most of
these environments don't need that level of service.
Yet, I don't want to "discover" that there is a difference between 'free'
and 'paid' when I finally upload to my production environment.

Paying a little to keep spammy apps away is ok, but I think the payment
policy should be focused on the person paying the bill and not the apps that
they generate.

In fact, I would go further and say that google should really* encourage
developers to get on the highest service level early in the development
process. * In particular, always-on and high replication data should be
encouraged at the prototype stage so developers can feel how fast their apps
will be and ... and so* we can imagine what we can do with that enhanced
capability!!    "Appengine developers that pay"* is a market niche that
google should really give incentives to so we can build and evangelize the
platform!    In contrast, right now with the current fee structure, I'm on
the free tier and waiting each time my prototype is called as the instance
is loaded ... I could pay for always-on but I feel a little silly doing that
when the prototype is just for me -- the incentives are not aligned
correctly...

Dennis