On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Darien Caldwell
<darien.caldw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jun 2, 7:54 am, J C <ciho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Security through obscurity" is really the only way?
>
> You make it sound like a bad thing. All security is through obscurity.
> Even RSA encryption is only as good as not knowing the key to decode
> it.  Whoever started that "Security through Obscurity is no security
> at all" meme did a whole generation a bad service.

I think you misunderstand the intended meaning of security through
obscurity. The term is used to refer to situations in which security is
dependent on the attacker not being aware of certain implementation details
such as the cipher being used. In the history of cryptography, keyed ciphers
were specifically designed to avoid this issue, restricting the need for
secrecy to certain well defined bits of information (the key).

In general, if information disclosure requires you to redesign part of your
system, you're practicing security through obscurity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity

-Nick Johnson

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine