I doubt the low-level API is significantly faster than JDO (have not
profiled, so can't tell you for sure). JDO just dispatches to low-level and
does serialization/deserialization. That should really be a very small part
of the entire operation.

Reasons to use the low-level API include:

 - it maps best to how the datastore works (schemaless)
 - you always get new features the fastest (async datastore API)

That being said, the Slim3 and Objectify projects move pretty quickly and
add features almost as quickly as we do. They're one level removed from the
schemaless nature of the datastore, but this fits better with the 95% use
case.

Ikai Lan
Blog: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/app_engine