Depends on how much number crunching. I say just use the language you like
the best. Unless you're doing some kind of non-linear ops (and a LOT of
them) you might not get the efficiency you're looking for moving to Java.
The number crunching would have to be very significant relative to the time
it takes to do IO for language speed to make a difference for simple math.

One advantage the Go runtime has over Python and Java is that you can fire
off Goroutines within a process. A Goroutine is to Go what a Thread is to
Java or a fork is to Python. You communicate between Goroutines using
channels and multiplex channels using the "select" statement. If you can
break up your heavy computation into lots of small bits, you will consume
the same amount of CPU but will consume less wallclock time, returning to
the user faster.

Ikai Lan
Blog: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/app_engine