So zend + right scale are playing with a PaaS already, and there's another
that i forgot the name (or at least trying to).

I worked 5 years on massive PHP systems (+10 mill users, with oracle behind)
as SA and from that i gather many things:

   - Hardware consumed tend to be 1.5 times more than other
   interpreted/compiled languages
   - PHP is not multithreaded (you can only fork) which makes the new GAE
   pricing structure a lot difficult
   - Naming combinations around the community makes it hard to actually
   serve PaaS APIs and documentation in a good way and easy to understand (e.g:
   the so pseudo called namespaces and lambda functions)
   - APC or any other solution around code caching is a must for
   scalability, but it takes a good chunk of server's memory and resources
   making it more expensive (for large scale systems)
   - relies a lot on PECL, so lots of low level extensions must be enabled
   and maintained across SDKs, which potentially would have a portability
   problem major than what django is right now for python
   - the most "enterprise" trusted web framework is Zend, known by it's
   footprint, meaning this a compact web framework must be plugged in.

and many more. Although i do love PHP, i would not pick it as a programming
language of one of my solutions, it just requires many low level access to
adjust it for a deployment

http://about.me/david.mora