My only experience with Mono is playing with Unity3D. What i gather from my
labs is a big backlog of libraries to be ported from .NET FW.
Most noticeable the Enterprise library (that you would obviously look for to
reduce engineering efforts and provide SLAs). I would compare them as CentOS
is to RedHat.

In terms of development MonoDevelop seems to be a really trustful IDE with a
philosophy similar to eclipse (actually, really comfortable)

And the buzz-word around .NET is of course XNA (gaming framework)
http://code.google.com/p/monoxna/ . Although, i heard from our .NET team
that Microsoft might drop it this year.

In terms of deployments and retainer accounts .... who knows? i have been
open source since i wrote my first "hello world" 13 years ago :) ... all i
know is something they call "Team Foundation" ;)

http://about.me/david.mora