Lame.

Whether or not it is against the letter of the law, it's certainly
against the spirit of appengine.  If your little "hack" becomes
popular, the likely consequence is that Google will have to devote
resources to engineering (or gaming) around it.  I do not approve.

If you need always-on behavior, don't be a cheapskate.  Pony up the
$9/mo, it's cheap hosting.  If you want free, live with a little cold
startup time.

Jeff