Agree with your point on tragedy of the commons. The thing is this is not a
new concept. It's already a common practice among many appengine developers.
 Without my application, one can still write a dummy cron in 5 mins. Given
that they (unfortunately including me at the moment) will do it anyway, my
app is saving 5 min dev time and 1 cron job execution per minute for each
single url.

Of course, this is definitely a suboptimal solution. But it should be Google
rather than us to do something on this. I don't think Google has to build
some intelligence to detect this behavior, but at least they should give use
some guideline in forum or GAE document. For example, multiple deployment of
same app is explicitly documented
here<http://code.google.com/appengine/terms.html>(point
4.4), but I can't find any term applicable to my case. Instead I saw this
same topic been discussed here for many times but no Googler ever give a
negative comment. I will disable my app if I get guideline officially or
un-officially.

>From other side, I don't think it's fair for a site gain a better
performance just because more users are using it. From my point of view,
such regenerative feedback is even worse than your tragedy of the commons.