I can't believe I'm still writing about this...  at the very least
you're hacking around the $9/mo fee for an always-on instance.

The "free tier" of appengine works because all those zillions of
little test apps and experiments that people create don't actually
occupy resources beyond a small amount of disk space.  If you create a
magic button that keeps even the unused apps resident, the cluster
will fill up with terabytes of idle ram.  If you want to skeeve the
system to keep your own app resident, keep quiet about it and hope
there aren't enough other people doing this to force Google to close
the loophole.

BTW, I don't see why this calculus would change at all with the new
pricing scheme.  You could still have a lot of zombie apps eating up
their free 24 instance-hours.

Jeff