I reached out to Eduardo about this last week.  The problems he was having
were temporary and went away on their own.  The most likely cause of these
issues was an upgrade that was applied to production around that time.
 Backend instances need to be shut down temporarily when these upgrades
occur, which explains the "disappearing instances".  The problem of failed
deployment was likely a due to a temporary instability in one of the
bigtables that App Engine uses.  We monitor those types of problems and they
are usually resolved after a brief period of failed (or slow) deployments.

Justin