On Jul 18, 8:46 pm, "Nick Johnson (Google)" <nick.john...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You are missing this stanza from the end of your handler script:
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>   main()

I do have that in the handler. The above was a snippet from the
script. Without that I don't think it would work, which is not the
case for me since it works the very next time.

After a bit more trial-error it seems like that this is happening
after the instance in gone (as seen from the dashboard, number of
instances stats). So, after having got successful response by fetching
it multiple times as mentioned above, if I wait for some more time
(few mins.) I can again get the zero response and that correlates
perfectly to the time the instance is gone.

Also, I found few mentions for "warmup requests" and "loading
requests". These are primarily in reference to high latency and not
zero byte, but maybe they are related ?

Right now I just re-issue the request in my startup code if the
response is blank ... works for me, but not the best solution.