Just burned several days with Google Enterprise Support trying to
troubleshoot intermittent long latencies;
unnecessary dynamic instance starts; and failures during dynamic instance
starts on a multi-threaded GAE Java app
running on Master/Slave (MS) data store.

My typical app latencies on MS were under 1 second per request. Periodically
I'd see 5-20 second delays with very little traffic.
My app starts in under 3 seconds (stripes/slim3), so when instances failed
to start in 30 seconds, I suspected a GAE issue.

After many attempts to resolve the issue, we finally decided to to try
switching to the High Replication (HR) data store.
All of the issues disappeared!!! The long latencies were all gone. My
traffic was easily being served with a single instance.
No more phantom dynamic instances. No more instance start crashes.

I just volume tested my app. My median request went from 2.5 seconds on MS
to under 1 second on HR with 1000 simultaneous users.

Previously I was paying for 3 always-on instances. With HR enabled,
there was no need for any always-on instances.

So if High Replication is faster, and more stable, why should Google spend
valuable resources supporting Master/Slave?
Is the cost savings of MS worth all the issues it creates? Not for me.

If you're experiencing similar problems on MS I highly recommend giving HR a
shot.

FYI, migration to HR was trivial:
- created a new app id,
- deployed my app to the new id,
- used my app to initialize the data (this will be problematic for some),
- had google point the old app id to the new app id.
now serving from the original URL.