The Geocoding API v3. I am using the Xml response.

I just hit the limit tonight testing some changes that needed to be
implemented.  I had 698 addresses to geocode. I pulled them from the
database and submit each address using:

http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/xml?address={0}&sensor=false

I then write back some of the data in the response. I checked and 26
came up empty. I reran the code and 2 came back with the
OVER_QUERY_LIMIT. So, it took 3 passes to geocode 698 addresses. I had
to use 726 calls.  Luckily this is only one of the tables that needs
updating and we only submit it to geocoding when the address changes.
We keep track of all our calls when geocoding on the server side as
stated previously.

Thanks again for the help.