Fred on my Android.
On Aug 19, 2011 11:18 AM, "thstart" <thst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +Ikai Lan
> +Fred Sauer
> +Stephen
>
> Thank you, I need to rethink again with this information: it is useful. I
am fine
> with new technologies, in my case the product is very sophisticated and
the balance
> between new Google technology and what my business requires was tilted to
business
> side - e.g. less new technology and techniques, more pro business
solution.

> Definitely an extension to the book, an update to the excellent Brett
Slatkin (he explains very well)
> materials will be of much help and am awaiting them and am wondering how i
will know if they are ready?

> There is some practical questions: these changes obviously have to be
tested,

You can also deploy another app version for testing.

I am fine to set up a second
> app just for that, but still it would be not the real thing in real
situations. Right now I have a group of trusted people
> who are already using it and looking at the logs I can see real life
situations which never pop up in test accounts.
> So my question is - I obviously will want to implement the changes one by
one and see the effect, being right now
> on M/S could this be done in M/S environment and then move my users to HR?

The impact of these changes are material on HRD, and may have limited
performance impact on M/S.

Test where you like, but test the scenario which you plan to use.

Above all else, migrate to HRD as soon as practical.

> Also I suppose when Google goes full HR and obviously wants we to move out
of M/S, do Google has benchmarks
> for this kind of usage as I described in order to have a good motivation
to move to HR?

While you should care that your app has acceptable performance, and you
should use the suggested tips to get optimal performance out of HRD, your
primary concern or reasons for migrating off of M/S are
1 Avoiding scheduled read-only periods
2 Avoiding unscheduled outages and maintenance periods
3 Avoiding datastore latency spikes

Every developer who I've communicated with has been happy with their app on
HRD and none want to go back. In particular the 3rd point I mentioned often
weighs the heaviest for developers.

To put it another way: I have yet to find a use case, when the whole app is
considered, where M/S is preferable to HRD.

Hope that helps.
Fred