On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Sekhar <allur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're about to launch a healthcare app, and we recently switched from M/S
> to HRD (both with reserved instances). I'm really, really happy with HRD so
> far, most importantly we don't see random hiccups in data access any more.
> Performance has been really consistent.

Great to hear. It's also exactly what I'm hearing from others I've talked to
who have switched from M/S to HRD.

We are occasionally getting a new error "too much contention on these
> datastore entities. please try again." however. Clearly it's not due to
> traffic because it's like 5 of us testing the site at this point. I'm a bit
> worried our patients/doctors will see this after launch next month. What's
> this and is there a way to avoid it?

In both cases, you should design your application for at most 1 datastore
write/second (=1qps) per entity group. You can write simultaneously to as
many entity groups as you like.

The problem you mention usually comes up in one of two scenarios:

   1. You have a some shared / global data structure which is updated by
   multiple users at the same time, ultimately at a rate > 1qps. See
   http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/sharding_counters.html for a
   common technique for dealing with this.
   2. You are testing with multiple users, but they are all logged in with
   the same account, or are otherwise artificially updating the same data. In
   this case you have a usage pattern which doesn't match what production
   traffic would look like.

If you're wanting to build high throughput pipelines, check out
http://www.google.com/events/io/2010/sessions/high-throughput-data-pipelines-appengine.html

>  --

Fred Sauer
Developer Advocate