GR,

Are you not able to squeeze each app into the free instance?  Make
sure you optimize, using memcache, reducing datastore calls, etc. to
keep each request fast.  Also, in your dashboard, you can adjust the
number of instances that are spun up. That will increase the wait
times for your visitors, but may be worth it.  Compress js and css
files, sprite images, cache responses.

GAE has taught me a LOT about optimizing.

If, after doing that, you are still getting enough traffic to have to
pay, you probably have enough quality traffic to monetize, helping
defray the costs.  Let me know the sites, and I'll see if I can ofer
ideas.