Absolutely, I have done all those things.  Like yourself, I have learned a
LOT about optimizing.  Memcache is wonderful, and I'm thankful for the
Instance tweaks we can do.  I have a lot of traffic -- most of it is coming
from users of a free Android app that I made which uses an app engine
project as its backend.

The problem with that is that you cannot change an app from free to paid in
the Android market, and it's kinda easy to get around 100,000 users of an
app... So I'm stuck with a high amount of traffic to my app engine project
with no way to start charging for my app.