Hi Jason,

Yes, Instance Hour billing is based on Total Instances -- turning down
'Max Idle Instances' should be an easy way to reduce your bill.
Also, be aware that the way we do real-time monitoring isn't perfect,
so the Instances graph or Instances page may show more than the
specified number of Idle Instances. However, you will never be charged
for more than the number of Max Idle Instances you specify.
Give that slider a shot. It will take a few days for the usage report
to appear, but if that doesn't have the desired effect on your moola,
please contact us at appengine_updated_pric...@google.com and someone
will try to help you out personally.

-Alon