Same for me -- my main app (which is still in the testing and demoing phase)
is going from $.31/day (which was already too high for the very occasional
usage) to ~$2.50/day, and that's before it even has any users -- the
unpredictability of the costs on launch is a big problem.  It's in Java, and
all the costs are frontend instance costs.  I'm in the process of setting up
my first AWS account.  I've been recommending GAE to everyone and using it
for my apps for the last couple of years, but I'm going to have to do some
serious cost comparison before investing any more time or money in it.

I like GAE a lot, otherwise -- please, Google guys, reconsider and make this
more affordable?

-- Rachel