Please note, I am not an apologist for the new billing regime, I think there
have been some major misteps with it,
especially with regards to clarity of information , lack of tools to
really gauge the impact of your own chnages.
Billing stats 3 days old is pretty useless if you trying to reduce you
costs.

But I see value in the service moving forward.  There will be certain app
sizes and profiles and business models that just wont
suit appengine moving forward.

But there has been way too much flung around about how one admin can make a
super scalable AWS instance for less than google.
I just don't believe it is feasible for most people/organisations.  I have
been doing IT for 26 years.  My first web app was perl/c front end to a
CICS/Cobol mainframe app communicating over LU6.2 on token ring from a Sun
box in 1994.  So I have seen it all, and done most of it.

Rgds