We are seeing a lot more datastore write operations than we can
account for (375M / day). Still trying to get to the bottom of it
because it makes for a scary line item on the new sample bills. We
haven't looked closely at read operations yet because the writes
dwarfs it.

This blog post outlines some unexpected read statistics:
http://point7.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/the-amazing-story-of-appengine-and-the-two-orders-of-magnitude/
. I think that using offset with your queries (instead of cursors)
could lead to an inflated number of reads.

Aside, I'm really surprised that datastore reads cost 70% of a write.
I would have expected perhaps an order of magnitude cheaper.