A datastore write op != an entity put/delete. It is actually (entity +
|index deltas|).

For example if you have a Kind with 3 indexed properties and 1 composite
index the number of write ops to put a new entity would be:
1 entity + 1 kind index + (1 ascending + 1 descending) * 3 indexed
properties + 1 composite index value = 9 write ops

if you change a single property on an existing entity it will be:
1 entity + (2 ascending changes + 2 descending changes) * 1 indexed property
changed + 2 composite index values changed = 7 write ops
(the change must remove the old value and add the new value for each index)

deleting the entity will cost the same a creating it (9 write ops)

It is important to note that these costs have not changed in the new pricing
model, they were just obfuscated in the old model in the form of cpu hours.
Hope this clears it up.

 - Alfred