>From the looks of your data, it doesn't seem you have any need for a
massively scaling web host.  Why did you choose GAE in the first
place?

If your answer is, "One day I may need to handle 1000 qps" - then I
think the pricing is perfectly fair, you can almost view it as
insurance.  Note, i'm saying the price is fair, not the increase.  I
can understand your frustration with Google's handling of this, but
that doesn't mean they should make the service unsustainable.

But maybe there is a solution...
I'm going to take a guess and say that most of your cost is instance
hours - make sure you change your min-pending latency to 15s and your
max idle instances to 1