On Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:40:12 AM UTC+3, renderpaz wrote:

> From the looks of your data, it doesn't seem you have any need for a
> massively scaling web host.  Why did you choose GAE in the first
> place?
>
> If your answer is, "One day I may need to handle 1000 qps" - then I
> think the pricing is perfectly fair, you can almost view it as
> insurance.  Note, i'm saying the price is fair, not the increase.  I
> can understand your frustration with Google's handling of this, but
> that doesn't mean they should make the service unsustainable.

I'd assume that for the majority the answer is not the one you are
suggesting but rather:

1/ simplicity of deployment
2/ curiosity
3/ the free tier/quota

And I'd also assume the frustration is the result of the following facts:

1/ people finding the pricing increase unreasonable (while usually
subjective, please note that I'm referring to the increase and not the price
itself)
2/ the short notice compared to how long GAE has been in beta.

I don't think we'd be seeing these reactions if Google would have announced
the new pricing becoming active end of 2011. 4 months would have been enough
for a lot of us to rethink  our applications, optimize, find alternative
solutions. But how much of that can you do on such a short notice? (Aug.31st
vs mid-Sept).

I'm tempted to speculate for the 3rd time here and say that it looks like
Google's decision is based on analyzing three major use cases:

1. large paying customers: the alternatives for them would be more expensive
and adding to that the costs of migration, the majority of them will just
have to accept the new pricing
2. small paying customers: between finding similarly priced alternatives and
being offline until they complete the migration, the majority of them will
just have to accept the new pricing. Even if some of them will leave in the
next 3-6 months, the revenue generated from the new pricing is equivalent
with having them as customers for 12-15months.
3. very small paying customers/free quota customers: their decision is
pretty irrelevant. If some of them stay then they'll generate some revenue.
If they leave then there's a cost cut.

As James, I'm one of those very small paying customers/free quota customers
where the price increase is unaffordable (in my case I'm going from a couple
of bucks/month to $645/month).

A://