Hi,

I just disabled the "always on" option for my QA application, wanting
to experiment with the new pricing model. Instead, I set the max-idle
to 1, and I defined a 300ms latency in the application settings. The
QA box is rarely used, but since the Cron-Jobs keep running every 5
minutes to clean up stuff, there was always some base load.

I checked out the stats, and it turns out there was always one
instance up in the past 24 hours, and the currently active instance is
11h old. That's perfect for me: the less instance restarts we have,
the faster the app will react (since startup takes some 5 to 10
seconds). Overall, this QA box cost me a mere 1ct under the new
pricing. Great news!

Is this too good to be true? When App Engine started out, new
instances got killed after 60seconds, and it was officially prohibited
to ping instances to keep it alive. Will that happen again? Or is it
fine to consume the free 1 instance permanently?

Cheers,
Per