Billed instance hours are not generally well understood, so I've
written a simple tool which visually shows you where your billed
instance hours have come from (as I understand it.)

You just need to provide an instance chart URL, and your 'max idle
instances' setting (alternatively, see how altering the number of 'max
idle instances' effects the example chart):

https://mentatarchive.appspot.com/app_engine_instance_hours_calc.html

I can't guarantee that the results are accurate, so please let me
know.

(The calculation is done entirely client-side via javascript. Feel
free to download and modify for any purpose)