Hi Jon,

I don't know where you got that information, the admin logs clearly
reflect our actions and the feedback at the time in the Dashboard:

Originally set to 5:
2011-08-31 23:15:59     ad...@everpix.net       Changed Performance Settings
max_idle_clones=5, min_pending_latency=0.10

Then looking at estimated new-pricing bills, I figured that's looks
very expensive, let's reduce this as much as possible for now:
2011-09-01 00:08:03     ad...@everpix.net       Changed Performance Settings
max_idle_clones=3, min_pending_latency=0.10
2011-09-01 18:44:01     ad...@everpix.net       Changed Performance Settings
max_idle_clones=2, min_pending_latency=0.10
2011-09-03 12:07:44     ad...@everpix.net       Changed Performance Settings
max_idle_clones=1, min_pending_latency=0.10
2011-09-03 12:08:15     ad...@everpix.net       Changed Performance Settings
max_idle_clones=2, min_pending_latency=0.10

Then 2 days before our public launch at TechCrunch Disrupt, change of
mind: now we need a minimum of 5 instances all the time, just in case:
2011-09-10 10:16:23     ad...@everpix.net       Changed Performance Settings
max_idle_clones=5, min_pending_latency=0.10

The next morning, I look at the graph (attached to previous post),
realize it's obviously not working and decide to re-enable "always-on"
in billing so we at least get 3.
2011-09-11 09:47:15     ad...@everpix.net       Changed Performance Settings
max_idle_clones=5, min_pending_latency=0.10
2011-09-11 09:47:03     ad...@everpix.net       Changed Performance Settings
max_idle_clones=5, min_pending_latency=0.10

And I post to the mailing list a few minutes later at 9:53AM

I guarantee you min-instances was set to 5 in the dashboard for all
the duration of the previously attached graph :)