On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Nick Johnson <nickjohn...@google.com>
 wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> The edge cache is just that - a cache. It doesn't guarantee that no 304
> requests will reach your app, only that they will be satisfied by the cache
> if possible - and if the headers you set permit it. The more popular your
> content is, the more effect you're likely to see from the cache.
>
> -Nick Johnson

Thanks, Nick. I've used Squid and Varnish a bunch, so I'm familiar with
caching. This is the first I've heard that GAE's edge cache only kicks in
for dynamic content if it surpasses a certain request threshold. Based on
what others have written, I'd understood that enabling billing makes the
cache kick in regardless of popularity. Good to know the true story.

Being able to count on the edge cache could significantly reduce an app's
resource consumption. It would also make testing easier, which would go a
long way since there is currently no documentation. (How can you test that
it's caching your responses correctly if you can't predict when it's going
to kick in? (Does it respect s-maxage? Does it respect
Vary<http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=4277>?))
See also http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2258#c3.

There hasn't been any recent activity on these tickets. We'll be launching
our site publicly soon, so I just thought I'd try checking in again so I
have the best possible chance of understanding the infrastructure and using
it optimally.

Thanks,
Josh