I have gathered as much information as possible from the new pricing FAQ,
the optimization document by Alon Levi and some posts on the blogesphere.

Here is what I know:
* Frontend instances cost x2 compared to Backend
* According to the post-preview pricing FAQ:
   - Do Frontend instances handle Task Queues and Cron? "Frontend instances
handle Task Queue Requests by default."

* According to Alon Levi's optimization tips article:
   - "The default settings for the Task Queue are tuned for performance."
   - "Use Backend in order to completely control the number of instances
used for task execution"

Currently my app uses a series of tasks for offline fetching & processing of
data from 3rd party APIs (Twitter, Facebook).
- A cron job creates several tasks for fetching data - each task perform a
single urlfetch and storse the response json in a temp file. It then creates
a different task that loads the json from the text file, processes it and
creates & stores necessary data objects into the data store. I am not using
Backends at the moment.

I am trying to figure out which option will be cheaper - should switch to
using Backends in order to completely control the number of instances or
should I rely on app engine's scheduler & use the performance knobs?

Does anyone have suggestion/tips/insight?