It's pretty subjective, but we tried moving our task-driven frontend
load to dynamic backend instances. We found that, perhaps due to the
nature of our workload, the dynamic backend pools never shrunk - e.g.,
if I configured 5 instances, 5 were always active. This had the effect
of costing a lot more instance-hours of billing than simply using
frontend instances, so we rolled back. Additionally, there would have
been the extra overhead of manually monitoring to determine if 5
instances is the appropriate number to be processing our workload in a
timely fashion (yes, I realize my conflicting statements here of
wanting to be able to control my instance-hours while at the same time
having some automation around the number of instances to serve the
load).

For us to successfully use backends, I think we'd need more dials.
E.g., I'd like to be able to tell the backend scheduler to not start a
new instance until the incoming request queues have a certain level of
pressure (e.g., # of tasks waiting, or estimated wait time in queue)
and conversely, some way to tell the scheduler to ramp down instances
when this pressure becomes too low.