There was a similar question just a few hours ago on this forum:  "Re:
Datastore Reads and Writes Crazy High"

Here's my answer:

I used the appstats tool to figure out where all my datastore writes were
coming from.  Super easy to configure, and barely any processing overhead.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/appstats.html
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2010/03/easy-performance-profiling-with.html

The only problem I had with this tool was it made my memory usage grow
exponentially for a cron job that my backend was executing.  The backend
does a lot of work, and this job usually lasts 3 minutes, even though it
happens only once every hour.  But since this memory explosion was limited
to a single type of request, I was able to exclude it from appstats by using
appstats_FILTER_LIST in appengine_config.py.

Hope this helps.