Just to jump in here, I also agree that we could do with an easy way
of identifying where costs are coming from.

I like appstats, but it gives you a detail level view for one
request.

Perhaps information like this might be useful for people

Entity Name
Total Writes
Total Reads
Total Small Operations

It could also give stats on indexes on this entity. (As an easy way to
remind new people that they really need to keep an eye on indexes)

J.

ps.. I usually caveat my posts with this - I don't have a live app, so
don't listen overly to my words.