Hi Brandon,

Regarding your resolution of setting up a squid/proxy that forwards requests
to https://*.appspot.com somewhere:
Having all your traffic go through a single server on AWS or other VPS to
proxy requests for google app engine is equivalent to buying a top of the
line super-car, ripping out it's four-digit horse power engine and strapping
it to a moped with the goal of using said turbo-charged moped for a road
trip from new york to california, all because the super-car is too wide for
some of the roads you might encounter.  It might work but you're doing it
wrong.

Let's try to go with the flow: I'll see your "proxy/squid set up somewhere"
and raise you a multinational dns provider with name servers on most
continents with geolocation rules to forward dns requests to the CNAME of a
multi-zone load balancer at the nearest AWS region out of 5 worldwide; each
region's ELB configured to forward to auto-scaling health-checked linux
instances balanced across all availability zones, each instance running a
modified linux kernel optimized for the sole purpose of being a web proxy,
running either varnish or nginx as a front end, using a SPDY library for SSL
requests to app engine (yeah, the app engine front end has SPDY - GAE team
didn't even know about it for a while).  It would be best to have the AWS
ELB use SSL with SPDY to talk to the instances but we'll let that slide.

Yet, still, this solution is sub par considering:
1. There's hardly any point to serving static files from GAE, might as well
serve them from your proxy.  Yay, more locations to push to :) Or you could
have your proxy be a literal cache and time out files but then you'd have to
either push a cache flush or use cache busters for your content.  IMO both
reek of an equally vile stench.
2. It's likely the Channel API won't work with all those middle men.  If the
GAE team starts using websockets (or regular tcp/ip sockets while we're at
it) we'd be back to the drawing board.  Also various other APIs might be
negatively affected or require some tinkering (blobstore upload, XMPP and
task queue API)
3. Consistently added latency in the best case - you have the added latency
of initiating an SSL handshake with the proxy.  Given a solution with a load
balancer you'd have two handshakes, and depending on how they're set up
either one or both of them will be full SSL handshakes (not just TCP
handshakes)
4. Additional highly varying latency in the worst case - what happens when
the GAE or production teams move the instances serving GAE requests to
another data center?  Your users would see a sudden jump in latency since
the proxy they're working with takes longer to reach the GAE domains/ips
it's been working with.  It'll take a while for new geolocation rules at the
dns level meant to counter the effect to kick in due to dns caching.
5. It's expensive.  The cheapest single server solution is more expensive
than the GAE $9/app/month under the new pricing model.  The full-blown AWS
solution is somewhere around $1k a month.  Not including the labor and
maintenance required for the custom linux image.

There are probably more issues but those are the best I could think of off
the top of my head.

I think there is no reason to believe that internal politics at google are
holding this issue back.  Also I can't find a reason to believe that google
is an organization set up such that the GAE team and/or their
product/project managers need to give financial incentives to other teams
just to get a major feature out the door.  I'm not saying there aren't
internal politics because there probably are.  I'm just saying that a
feature of this type seems like something that, at worst, would be
arbitrated quickly by a manager high enough on the corporate ladder to see
the detrimental effect of not finishing this feature a full year after it
was announced at a major company event.

Regarding 2014 - I agree.. in that MS and their products will be synonymous
with myspace by then to developers.  But you can't deny the size of MS and
their existing install base.  EOL for XP doesn't necessarily mean that
bureaucratic organizations like government offices will have upgraded by
2014.

IPv6.. the jury's still out on that one.

The question remains - are we waiting for 2014 or whichever decade will
bring IPv6 / end of IE on XP or is there something in the works?
I don't take issue with which decision the GAE team made, but with the fact
that they're zigzagging on the availability of the feature.

Amir