there are many differences between traditional relational databases
(like mysql) versus non-relational databases, aka nosql (like gae's
datastore)

but yes, "Full-text search over Datastore" is coming really soon

App Engine Product Roadmap
http://code.google.com/intl/en/appengine/docs/roadmap.html

Google I/O 2011: Full Text Search
Bo Majewski, Ged Ellis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B7FyU9wW8Y
(I recommend everyone here to take a look at it, it's really nice)

there were 2 main problems when I switched from my traditional mysql-
thinking to datastore-thinking: geo search and full text search.
the first is solved using GeoModel (made by some fine Google
employees), the second will come as a Google solution (see the video).

so I'm extremelly happy with GAE :) I hope you enjoy it too, Bruce.