I have integrated my site with a cool online payments service. They provide
an API for online payments that I access from the server side using the
urlfetch() API. Unfortunately, once in a while their service takes a little
bit more than 10 seconds to respond on the pay API, so the payment goes
through but my code gets a timeout and reports an error to the user which is
very frustrating.

I am trying to get the online payments vendor to improve their response
times but I was wondering why did you pick 10 instead of 20 seconds for the
urlfetch maximum timeout. In 30 seconds there is enough time to get in, do a
20 second urlfetch and return in worst case.

Thanks,
PK

PS Yes I have thought of doing the urlfetch from a task but the code gets
pretty complicated pretty fast.