Hi PK,

We build a 500 qps website that do handle the payments from two payment
gateways: PayPal and PagSeguro (from Brazil). Both suffer for those
problems, and we only was able to solve this by using Task Queues. What we
do is to proccess using this workflow:

   1. User is redirected to payment gateway
   2. Gateway charges the user
   3. User goes back to our site, and we show a message like "Thanks
   for buying, your order is processing. Click here to see the order details."
   4. Asynchronously, the gateway notifies the payment status (sometimes it
   takes a few minutes or even ours to the order be approved entirely from
   PagSeguro).
      1. We receive the notification, and schedule a task queue with all the
      parameters to be processed in background. This idea that just *forward
      * the post from the gateway to be a task queue, and avoid deadlines.

Usually, the overall process (except when the payment isn't approved
instantaneously) is very fast, and we don't have the user-facing problem.

Hope this help,

- Ronoaldo