I have done all that a while ago and everything worked fine (at least no one
was complaining). This problem only appeared recently (maybe two weeks ago)
as users started to that server is unreachable from some locations, like it
is working from the office but not from home.

App is working with vanilla HTTP — I understand that HTTPS is only available
with *.appspot.com domain name.

As I said, the only some users have this problem. The group is small, but
significant, they are trying to reach the server form few networks (it's not
just one location) . The solution: "Please use Google DNS servers in you
network settings" is not the one I'm looking for ;)