I don't understand Brandons comment on Eclipse. I use it without the
troubles he mentiones above.
But I have Pydev (for Eclipse) installed in Eclipse. This works excellent.

With Pydev you can create GAE projects on the fly and deploy them in the SDK
or appspot.
With Pydev your first "Hello World" can run with a few clicks. When you
create a new Pydev GAE project in Eclipse, it will create the app.yaml and
the helloworld.py for you. And with another click (right click your project
src and select Pydev: Google App run) your first Hello World will run in the
SDK. Messages will show up in the Eclipse console.

Besides Python, Eclipse and Pydev you only need the SDK. There is no need
for the Google Plugin for Eclipse. You need this Plugin if you use Java or
Java with GWT.

I'am not a Notepad code purist. I'am not skilled enough, maybe already to
old (almost 60) and still make a lot of clumsy mistakes. I started a year
ago with Python after trying Java. The toolsets I use helped me understand
the language and the API's. I also installed the Eclipse HTML and javascript
toolset. For CSS  I use  stylizer (another excellent WYSIWYG tool).
And the result : GAE Python is an excellent platform, without all the
hassle. I don't "understand" why a lot of people still run there own server.