Hi,

Through a task queue, we manage calls from GAE to an external system,
which is fully-scalable but takes minutes to do so. The task queue
rate is therefore set to 200/s.

So what happens is that sometimes we get bursts of activity, and the
task queue sends 200 requests at once: the vast majority fails in the
external system as it can't handle this sudden request in load. But
the external system doesn't start scaling up as there are no more
requests coming and it's scaling based on the CPU load. Then suddenly
you get another burst of requests from the task queue retrying, and
then again the majority fails and so on.

So how can we configure a task queue to have a very high rate *but*
prevent it to get to this rate too fast? I noticed the bucket size
parameter, but I'm not sure how to use it properly.

Thanks,

- Pol