If your external system is called synchronously by your tasks, you could
try setting the queue's max_concurrent_requests parameter in queue.yaml/xml

This is documented for Java, but the same general rules apply for Python or
Go applications.
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/config/queue.html#Defining_Push_Queues_and_Processing_Rates

Nick Verne